Thursday, February 25, 2010

#154 - Our Outing and Good Examples

Today I am so thankful for the opportunity we had to go to a local nursing home and share our music and our "art" with the residents.

It seems that the girls are always drawing and creating pictures with stickers. I've been saving their masterpieces for a day like today.

We packed them all up, I grabbed my violin and we headed down the street to "love our neighbors". As I was playing, I watched my girls slowly and shyly walk up to different residents and hand them drawings. It was so sweet and I was so proud to be their momma! By the end, every person watching had received an original piece of artwork by Sydney or Kayleigh. Sydney even went back to one woman for a few extra hugs. I wish I had some photos to show you, but it's hard to take pictures AND play the violin at the same time! When we left, the girls were so excited and started talking about the new pictures they would draw for next time.

I'm so thankful that my parents did this with me. When I was younger, we "adopted" a woman named Mary to be part of our family. Mary lived in a nursing home and had a fascinating life story. We visited her every week, often taking her ice cream from Baskin Robbins. We a;so invited her to our home for all of our family celebrations...birthdays, holidays, etc. I remember when Mary passed away...I remember it as well as when my other grandparents passed away.

Because of my parents' example, I have realized that it can take so little energy and effort to bring God's love to those who are often forgotten and living in nursing homes. My mom continues to model this to me as she interacts with all the residents at Maple Lawn, where my grandma lives.

This is part of the legacy I want to leave with my girls...and I'm so thankful we had the opportunity to love on some of our neighbors today.

4 comments:

pippasmum said...

What a beautiful gift, both for the residents and for your girls. How did you make contact? Did you just call and ask if you could come? I have often wondered about doing something like that.
Thanks for sharing!

Grandma Dee Dee said...

beautiful
I am so proud of all of you!!!!

teresa said...

so sweet!!

Grandma Hall said...

What a beautiful tradition you're continuing. I'm so proud of all my kids & grandkids for reaching out to nursing homes and sharing their love & talents.
God bless your precious hearts.

 
Designed by Lena