Thursday, October 14, 2010

Compassion at Christmas

It's hard not to begin thinking about Christmas in October. Even if you intentionally don't plan ahead, Christmas displays are beginning to show up in stores. And in a couple weeks, the Halloween merchandise will go on clearance and the Christmas aisles will begin multiplying.

Let's stop and think about what Christmas really is....

Christmas is the celebration of our Lord's birth...the birth of Christ. If it's Jesus' birthday, then why are all the gifts for ourselves? Think about it. What if your entire family gave each other gifts on your birthday and you got nothing?

I'm not advocating that we not give gifts at all to each other on Christmas. But I am asking you to consider giving Christ a gift this year.

In Matthew 25:40 Jesus says, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."

Consider, as a family or as an individual, sponsoring a child through Compassion International this year. You can sponsor a Child Survival Program, which targets moms and babies, ages 0-5, for $20 a month ($240 a year). Or sponsor an older child for $38 a month ($456 a year). At this level you will be matched with a child, to whom you can write letters and develop a relationship with.

I read a beautiful post and quote by Ann Voskamp today..."God gives the world enough of what it needs. He just doesn't distribute it."

Why do we keep taking for ourselves? Don't we have enough? I'm not saying we have to completely deprive ourselves and take the joy out of Christmas, but seriously....the joy I found in Peru was so much more than the feeling I get when I receive a new sweater or book.

There is a beautiful new children's book, The King's Christmas List by Eldon Johnson, that wonderfully explains this concept to children. You could get this book, read it as a family and then go to Compassion's site to choose a child to sponsor. And when you have done this, please let me know so I can give you ideas and help you get the most out of your sponsorship experience.

This is joy, my friends. And the blessings your family will reap are much greater than the toys that would clutter your floor.

2 comments:

Michelle ~ Blogging from the Boonies said...

A wonderful post and a great reminder!
I wanted to tell you, feel free to use the This and That format for posts. It is something I've picked up and tweaked along the way and it allows me to post some free-flow type of posts when I don't have enough content for something more focused.
I also wanted to tell you, on my computer your links are in a very light pink that is nearly impossible to read. I have to highlight the entire text in order to read them. My laptop may be screwy or you may want to somehow make them a little darker.

Michelle ~ Blogging from the Boonies said...

Yes, Ma'am! Much easier to read and SO pretty!

 
Designed by Lena