Tuesday, October 5, 2010

#298 - Wise Words

I read this quote the other day and have tried putting this into practice...

"The Bible stayed open in my kitchen all day. Whenever there was a spare minute, I grabbed that minute and spent it with the Bible. More likely than not, the book was open to Proverbs. If I had a problem I almost always got help there. Proverbs has more practical child help in it than ten books on child psychology." - Ruth Graham

I figured that Proverbs would be a really good place to start, and so I opened my Bible to Proverbs. When I walked past, I began reading and was just floored at what I read....

Prologue: Purpose and Theme
The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:

for attaining wisdom and discipline;
for understanding words of insight;
for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life,
doing what is right and just and fair;
for giving prudence to the simple,
knowledge and discretion to the young -
let the wise listen and add to their learning,
and let the discerning get guidance -
for understanding proverbs and parables,
the sayings and riddles of the wise.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools despise wisdom and discipline.
Proverbs 1:1-7

I don't know about you, but I sure could use a boost in the department of wisdom. I am hoping that an open Bible on my counter draws me in for more and more nuggets of wisdom. That I will be less drawn to my computer desk to check email, and more drawn to see what God has to say to me.

In my current Bible study, Anointed, Transformed and Redeemed, Priscilla Shirer (one of the teachers) suggests that we come up with ways to create a God-consciousness throughout our day. I think having my Bible open, ALL DAY LONG, on the counter, is a really good idea!

1 comment:

pippasmum said...

What a great suggestion. I love this study - I have gotten so much out of it. One thing I am trying to do is to make sure that I have my ipod ready with sermon podcasts so that if I have a few minutes but don't have my hands free (e.g, nursing), I can get my mind onto "God" things.
I love the book of Proverbs.

 
Designed by Lena