Wednesday, June 9, 2010

#226 - The Hole in Our Gospel

I have just finished reading The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns and have written a review I wanted to share here. I am so thankful for books like this. I highly recommend you get a copy of this book to read.

As a Christian in today’s society, I have been searching for a more authentic way to follow Christ and live out his mission here on earth. In his book, The Hole in the Our Gospel, Richard Stearns offers practical explanations and demonstrations of what it means to follow Jesus. He proposes that the gospel we have been taught actually has a hole in it. Christianity was meant to be more than personal relationship with God, but it must also include how we relate to the world. Christ asked his followers to live radically different from the rest of society. Over and over, through Scripture, we are asked to care for those in needy and love our neighbors as ourselves. Stearns weaves his own experiences with Biblical truths to drive his message home.
This book challenged me on many levels and in new ways. As a seasoned advocate for children living in poverty, calls to action like this one appeal to me. Stearns does a good job defining the “hole” and looking at how it affects the Christian, the world and the church. This is a compelling message that challenges Christians to consider what God truly asks of his followers. Although I have just finished reading this book, I am already looking forward to reading it again.

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena