Wednesday, May 19, 2010

#207 - Challenges and Discipline

Do you ever take on something just for the challenge? I do because I learn so much from the discipline it requires to see some things through. I have given up chocolate for extended period of times (up to year!). I have trained and completed a 9.3 mile race.

Currently, I am a week into a dairy-free diet (no milk or milk protein, no butter, no cheese, no dairy whatsoever). I'm not doing this so much as a challenge as I am as an experiment to see if my skin clears up. Do you know how much dairy one generally eats during the day? I have done this before when Sydney was allergic to dairy and still nursing. I was so unprepared and lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks! This time I have a handful of recipes and resources to help me know what to eat, and, although I haven't lost more than 3 pounds, I feel extremely healthy!

I'm actually hoping that my skin doesn't clear up as a result of this experiment because I don't know that I want to go through life without ice cream!

Anyway, I'm thankful for challenges and the discipline we gain.

1 comment:

pippasmum said...

My father and brother are lactose intolerant and when I was growing up, other than mom and I drinking milk and the odd bit of cheese, we were largely dairy-free. You are right, it's something that we eat all the time and take for granted and I, for one, would really miss dairy in my diet. It's a fear I have when this little one is born - that I won't be able to have dairy while nursing.

 
Designed by Lena